Aduanas: Import and Export of Vehicles

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding taxes on vehicles as well as importing / exporting them. Over the years since moving here, policies have changed that saw the state of Quintana Roo become a free zone, however if you’re driving, you will pass through states that are not and will need the appropriate papers:

Entry Requirements:

  • Passport
  • Vehicle Certificate of Title (commonly call a “title” which is proof of car ownership)
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Valid Drivers License
  • Proof of insurance that is valid in Mexico
  • An affidavit from any lien holders authorizing temporary importation (if you have a loan or lease on your vehicle)

You will need photocopies of all these documents to hand over to the Mexican consulate, which you can pay for at the border.

Note: If the title or car registration has any names listed on it of persons who are not traveling with you, you will need to bring a notarized letter from those persons authorizing the trip. If any lien holder is listed such as a bank or leasing agency, you will also need an notarized letter from that bank or leasing agency authorizing the trip into Mexico.

For the government website for aduanas, customs, TIPS (temporary import permits) and importing and exporting of vehicles, you can visit the SAT website.

To make it a bit easier, I have broken it down for you:

Customs Procedures

All merchandise entering or leaving Mexico must be destined to a customs regime, established by the taxpayer, according to the function that will be given in the national territory or abroad.

When a merchandise is presented at customs for entry or exit from the country, the intended destination of the merchandise must be reported in an official document (request).

Our legislation includes six schemes with their respective variants — you can select which one best suits your requirements on the Customs Procedures page (it is in Spanish).

Import and Export Guide

  • Structure of the General Administration of Customs
  • Entry and exit of goods
  • Procedure for importing goods
  • Procedure for the export of goods

Customs Clearance


Services and procedures of the Register of Importers and Exporters 

One of the obligations in charge of those people who wish to introduce goods to the country, is the registration in the register of importers; For this, it is necessary to be up to date on their tax obligations; To accredit before the customs authority that is registered in the Federal Register of Taxpayers, among others that dictates the authority through rules.

Those taxpayers who are able to:

  • They are taxed under the general system of the Income Tax Law.
  • Imports under the decrees issued by the Federal Executive, which establishes the tariff scheme of transition to the general trade regime of the country, region or border strip.
  • Those dedicated exclusively to agricultural, livestock, fishing, forestry and land freight transport or passengers that, by provision of the ISR Law, are obliged to tax under the simplified regime and their income in the immediately preceding year would have exceeded $ 1,384,400.00 . The amount is updated in accordance with article 17-B of the Fiscal Code of the Federation.
  • Be moral non-taxpayers.

They are not obliged to register in the register of importers:

  • Those taxpayers other than those mentioned in the previous vignettes, provided that the goods to be imported are intended for their activities or are goods that will not be placed on the market. For these purposes, the taxpayer must request, through promotion in writing to the customs authorities, the corresponding authorization.