Medical Advice by American Consulate

Before going abroad, learn what medical services your American health insurance will cover overseas. If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside the United States, remember to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form.

Although many health insurance companies will pay “customary and reasonable” hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States.  Medical evacuation can easily cost $10,000 and up, depending on your location and medical condition. 

The social security medicare program does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs outside the USA.

Medicare coverage outside the US is very limited and in nearly all situations does not provide coverage for hospital or medical costs in Mexico. The Veterans Affairs health care program only reimburses registrants in the Foreign Medical Program for eligible health care costs in Mexico.

Senior citizens may wish to contact the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) for information about foreign medical care coverage with Medicare supplement plans.

Information for Hospitalized U.S. Citizens in Mexico

What to do when a US citizen dies in Mexico

How to contact Consulate Merida

You may email us ( or call the Consulate at:

011-52-999-942-5700 (direct dial from the U.S.)
202-250-3711 (Vonage dialing from the U.S.)
01-999-942-5700 (dialing from within Mexico)
942-5700 (dialing from within Merida)
011-52-999-942-5758 (fax dialing from the U.S.)

In the case of a life or death emergency involving a U.S. citizen outside of normal business hours, please call the switchboard number above and follow instructions to be connected to the duty officer.